Monday, November 22, 2004

I wanted to leave you with something funny today. My roommate and I went down to our friends' place since they are re-decorating a room in their house. We were going to help put up wallpaper. Well, at the end of helping them, we talked about what they were going to do next. They started talking about the "Sparky" and I asked them what that meant. Well, here in the UK, they call electricians "Sparky". For example, "The sparky is going to go under the floorboards". They also have some interesting names for carpenters. They officially call them "Joiners". Unofficially, they call them "Chippies". This is not to be confused with the place where you get potato "chips" (known in America as "fries"). Just another thing you have to get used to when you live in Scotland (and honestly it is just plain funny to hear for the first time).

posted by Chris  #1:02 AM | 0 comments |