<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 03, 2005

I am not usually a political blogger (if I even want to use this overhyped word at all). However, today I read a speech by Sentaor Robert C. Byrd. I often agree with his opinions because he comes from a similar hard working background as I do. In the speech above, he argues for keeping the filibuster. I agree with him. The filibuster has been used by both parties as a tool to keep their opinions alive in the face of fierce opposition by the majority. I also like his style of speeches. He harkens back to an era when good speeches and speech writing were highly valued assets to politicians.

Today, as I see it, most politicians are too interested in their own power or in the trappings thereof. They do not give a wit to the three founding ideas of the Republic: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. If only our politicians would think less about economics and more about these things, we would live in a better world. Whenever a question arises in the political sphere, a politician should ask himself, "how does my decision help or hinder the three founding ideas of the Republic?" If, on reflection, he finds that his opinion conflicts with these ideas, he should lay down the trappings of power and do what is best for the Republic. Not that they ever will.


posted by Chris  #8:44 PM | 0 comments |