<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I want to talk about Scotland's non-distraction of a national sport, namely golf. Most know that golf was invented in Scotland but, instead of being a national obession like baseball is in the US, as far as I can tell, it is largely ignored by most of the population. As I have lived here, I have seen less advertizing and less people talk about golf than when I lived in the US. Most people here follow football where people's feet actually touch the ball on a regular basis.

This leads one to wonder: what is the position of golf in Scotland? Well, from the newspapers that I have read, golf is just another tourist attraction to help bring money into the country. Golf courses spring up out of the earth here in strange places. I am sure that some Scots play the game but mostly it seems that they are filled with tourists who want a "real" Scottish golf experience. There is even a golf course near the Edinbrugh airport. I wonder if it is for someone who just wants to fly to Scotland play golf then leave.


posted by Chris  #7:02 PM | 0 comments |