<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Last night, I had two friends over for some wine and cheese. We started discussing different local foods or delicacies. For my roommate, who is from Vermont, it was mostly cheese and ice cream. For my Italian friend, since Italy was such a diverse place for food, he picked his favorite local dish, which was risotto with fish. For my Spanish friend, she described a dish with a local variety of long onion, which they blacken on the outside and dip in a almond/tomato sauce and eat with their heads back all the way. For myself, I had to go with the easy stuff like Pacific Salmon. Then during the discussion, I remembered, my friend and yours, the humble geoduck. Trying to describe this thing was difficult at best and their incomprehension at an animal that is so strange was understandable.

I have made my arrangements for my trip to Oxford University. I will be going down for a few days to look at some rare manuscripts that have stuff to do with my Ph.D. I will then go to a friend's house to hang out for a few days before I come back to Edinburgh. The strangest thing is that to get to Spalding from Oxford, I have to go through London. I have to change train stations while I am there by going through the Underground. I was talking to my ticket agent and when I said that I have never taken the Underground before, he said, "You're not missing much". When I said that I could find a nice person to help direct me from one train station to another he said, "I doubt that pal. You're not going to have much luck finding one of those in London." I love the Scots sense of humor sometimes.

I am not sure how much time I will have to post while I am down in Oxford but I should have internet access from my friend's place so you should see picture uploads from there. Hopefully, I will have time to wander around a bit before I leave.


posted by Chris  #6:30 PM | 0 comments |