<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Rob, the bouncer, has a great post on his blog about what a good blog should be. His post is insightful and think that others should read it if they maintain a blog. In any case, this caused me to think about this site and what the heck I am doing with it. For the most part, this blog is about me being in Scotland and trying to finish my academic ambitions and to tell my family and friends back home what I am doing on a semi-daily basis.

It makes me wonder if I should try for something more universal or more insightful. Since, as you can probably tell, I am not exactly the most insightful guy on the planet. My blog is a bit on the raw side without the kind of academic polish that many of those academics who maintain blogs have. It also covers many different topics without reservation. This does not allow me to deeply cover a topic like Rob, the bouncer, who just writes about his bouncing job. I have thought starting another blog about the inner-workings of the International Court of Justice since I am not aware of anyone else writing about it and it would give focus to a blog. On the other hand, who wants to read about the details of the Gabcíkovo-Nagymaros Project (it is a dam) between Hungary and Slovakia? In the end, I do not really have the time to read 30 plus page declarations written in legalese (in English or French) and translate them into normal English and then have something insightful to say about it.

I think, in the end, I am just going to keep this blog as it is. It is quirky and odd and I like that even if it will not win me awards, readers, or book deals. You never know what I am going to throw up on here next. One day, it might be a trip somewhere; another day, it might be a rant about the UN; another, things going on in Scotland or heaven forbid my actual academic work. One of these days, I should sit down and tell you exactly what my Ph.D. is about.

Other than that I really should get a new layout for this place.


posted by Chris  #10:36 PM | 0 comments |