<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 12, 2005

Another interesting difference between Scotland and Washington State is the grocery stores here are better stocked with hard liquor. In Washington State, the State has a monopoly on hard liquor. So you can only get it at a State store and only when they are open (they mostly close at 5 pm so do not think about grabbing that bottle of whiskey before heading home). At grocery stores, you can get wine and beer. Up until I was in my late teens, you could not get either on a Sunday.

In Scotland, you have your Victoria Wine stores on nearly every corner, which stocks every kind of wine and anything hard that you would like. At the grocery store, you can get everything for that four course dinner and three bottles of Stroh (151 proof rum) to wash it down (you know, as you do).

I am now in the process of writing my first chapter of my PhD! I am hopefully going to bang out at least a first draft before my year review so they can see what I am doing and what I plan on doing. I can only hope that this turns out to be a good experience rather than a big downer (I have heard that it can be pretty harsh and I have heard that it is a breeze so I am not sure what to think at this point). I should be fine though since my professor did not seem very concerned about it.


posted by Chris  #4:22 PM | 0 comments |