<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I have sipped of the LaTeX kool-aid. My PhD is going to be completely done in it. Why? Because it works flawlessly and gives me a Table of Contents, Bibliographic Tools, Index, and easy fonts and margins, for free. No more futzing around with Word and its craziness. I can have my PhD nicely formatted without a huge amount of hassle. On top of that, it can do dots over the letter "F" that Word nor Open Office could give me in a Times font. That was the clincher for me. It is something that has plagued Celtic Studies for a very long time. It is also consistent over multiple machines so no more problems with the formatting or lettering if you email it to a friend. I generally just output to PDF and send that.

Other than that, the power went out today. I had to call the emergency power line to tell them and have someone come out and fix it. Alternately, my roommate and I were stuck at home with no power, which meant no internet. It also happened to our downstairs neighbor who also called them. It was a major pain in the ass. We got power back in the afternoon but now the university installed fire detector is making beeping noises about having its power turned off. So all you hear when you go down stairs is "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP...BEeeep.BeBeBeep!" Hopefully, it will shut off soon or we will call the flat manager and see what we can do.


posted by Chris  #6:29 PM | 0 comments |