<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 23, 2005

A couple of things on this Sunday afternoon.

First, I went to a conference yesterday on Georges Dumézil on the current work on his theories. Well, there is an old saying: "Theory and practice are the same...in theory." I tend not to trust those who theorize until they have very good evidence to back them up. Usually, I would only trust thoeries based on scienitific evidence. In a way, his theories just do not strike me as plausibile even if there is a mountain of evidence to support him.

Another problem that I have is that I tend to dislike scholarily conferences. I am not very comfortable with the atmosphere and I do not like putting my academic career in jeopardy by opening my mouth and looking like an idiot in front of people who could be signing my paychecks in the future. Also, if I cannot cite it in a journal article, it is rather useless to me because no one is going to allow me to cite a conversation that they were not a party to in an academic setting.

The conference went from 9:30 am to 6 pm with a nearly constant stream of speakers. By the time it was finished, I had reached my saturation point. Everyone seemed nice enough even if the crowd was sparse. There were maybe fifteen people attending including the organizer.

The other thing that I wanted to mention is the fact that just switched to an old fashioned double-bladed saftey razor to shave my face. I would highly recommend other men to do the same. The razors are so much cheaper than those sold by the main manufacturers of razors and you get a much better shave. Yes, it does involve being a bit more careful putting the blade in and out but the economic benefits of paying 2.50 for ten blades over 10.00 for five, outweigh the rise in safey.


posted by Chris  #1:30 PM | 0 comments |