<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 28, 2005

The question, "where are you from?", is a more complicated question now for me than it was before. When people ask me, I have a dilemma. Do I tell them that I am from Edinburgh? No, because they will notice that my accent is all wrong. Do I tell them that I am from Seattle (choosing Seattle is a compromise because it is a well known place near where I am actually from)? No, because then they will think that I am a tourist and, in some cases, not want to talk to me. Often, I respond that it is a complicated question then tell them the truth. The only problem with that is that it takes a long time to explain. I want something nice and simple just like the question itself. I do not want to bore people with my life story or seeming egoistical or arrogant that I have to take so long to answer a simple question.

I think that just answering that I am living in Edinburgh currently is a good compromise between the two. The only problem is that then it seems like I have moved all over the place before, which is not the case. I did not move out of my county until I moved to Edinburgh. Well, now you can see how hard this question can become for someone who is living in another country.


posted by Chris  #8:59 PM | 0 comments |