<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I purchased Doom 3 about a week ago. I have been playing it off and on since. Most gamers who truly call themselves that would usually turn put the difficulty to Nightmare, which is the hardest setting, then go to town. I turn mine to "recruit" and play from there. Why would I, as a gamer, not play on the hardest level? Well, I have played all the versions of the Doom game now and I would have to say that when I sit down to play a game, I want to have fun. I do not want to get my ass beaten over and over by the game's AI. I want to blast some bad guys and have a good time. So unlike many of my friends, I set the difficulty down to the lowest. There is no fun in getting beaten all the time. After I have beaten the game, if I feel like a challenge then I will set it up to another difficulty but for the most part, I just want to relax and have a good time.

This casual attitude for a gamer (as I like to style myself) is quite against the norm. In fact, sometimes, I get taunted for it by other gamers for not being l33t enough to take the harder levels. Honestly, I can do just as well as any other gamer given enough time for it but in the end, I do not have the time to pour into a game to become that great at it.

I guess my philosophy of gaming is this: first, have fun, if you are not having fun then something is wrong. Second, stretch yourself when you feel like you want a challenge but if it contravenes the first premise then stop. Third, if you like computer video games, you are a gamer and do not let anyone else tell you otherwise, you have just as much a right to the community of gamers as someone who can beat Doom 3 on Nightmare without dying. I think if you keep these three things in mind, you will never have a problem with a game or the gaming community.


posted by Chris  #12:08 PM | 0 comments |