<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 24, 2006

I am not quite sure what to make of this article. Although, it reminds me of the crowds of asian students who would cluster around to talk to me when I was at Mylnes Court events. They really wanted to be fluent in English conversation. I was more than happy to help them out. I am not sure if this is really going to be the "global" langauge but asian societies are prone to obessions.

I guess this is type of additude of linguistic apathy is similar in minority languages, especally Irish. They have the same additude that I do towards their own language. It is just a way to communicate and as the situations to use it become more and more constrained, they will drop it as fast as they can. The main problem is how do we get them to continue using their language when they just do not care anymore? It answer is do nothing. Only they can save it. All the government intervention and incentives in the world will not save a language. It must come from within the speech community itself. Socio-linguists are just now beginning to realize that. Is it too late for Irish? Who knows, to be honest. It will be around as long as I am alive probably. After that, is anyone's guess.


posted by Chris  #8:05 PM | 0 comments |