<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 10, 2006

This is probably the coolest thing that I have seen in a while. It is an Interactive Fiction programming language that is based upon natural English. Now, this has been the goal of programming forever and anon. Another major goal of computer programming has been forcing the programmer to write documentation for what he has written. Normally, this is enforced in a style called Literate Programming.

Inform 7 (the programming language) combines these two things into a work of art (fiction in this case). I am wondering if I should give it a shot and see how it works. Mostly, I am interested in an academic kind of way so that you can see where this might have broader application. Although, in a way, this is domain specific programming. This is a massive step forward from the Z Machine that is normally used to create interactive fiction.

I can still remember that days of Zork and other Infocom games. I still love them. I hope that this programming language allows a resurgence in the genre, which as fallen by the way-side as flashy graphical games have taken hold.

I would highly encourage you to give it a shot if you feel like you have an interactive novel in you.


posted by Chris  #3:49 PM | 0 comments |