There are just some days. In my room, I have an energy saving light blub which is supposed to last six years. I think I got it about six months ago or so. Anyway, I was sitting at my computer and the light just turns off. So, I expect my computer to go down with it but it stays on. This is a bit weird. I go over to the switch and turn the power off then back on again, thinking that it might be a faulty switch. When I turned it back on, I heard a "pop" sound and it flashed. That means that it just burned out. So I got my tall flatmate to take it out after turning off the switch. I took the blub (which is just three loops of glass) into the kitchen to arrange things before I went to the store to buy a new one. I put it on the kitchen table then went to say something to my flatmate and heard a loud "bang". It has rolled off the table and smashed on the floor. Now, the problem with this is that those energy saving light bulbs use mercury gas to work. So, I had to put on gloves to pick it up and now we are not sure how much mercury is in the air. We opened the window to air it out but there is not much to be done about it now.
I went out after that and bought a new energy saving light bulb. This time with a glass exterior (they cost a bit more but give out a better tinted light). We will see if the other lights in the flat start to go out as well, which will tell me if this was just a one time occurrence or if something else is wrong.
posted by Chris #3:48 PM | 0 comments |