<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 10, 2008

I want to talk about some very geeky things today. A couple of days ago someone, without whom I would not be in Edinburgh, died, Gary Gygax. Without D&D, I would never have been exposed to the amount of mythology which would help me become interested in history in general. I will make a bold statement that there are many, many PhD's in ancient and medieval history who played D&D (and many who still do) without which we would not have this coming generation of scholars. Role-playing allowed me to explore these worlds and become interested in them in a way that allowed me to cultivate the sometimes dry secondary literature. For all those who would scoff at D&D, it has done more to make ancient and medieval literatures, histories, and cultures accessible than any other means.

Anyway, I am getting deliciously close to finishing my PhD. I am hoping to turn it in at the end of the week. We have set the external and internal examiners so everything should be set. I am hoping for a November graduation. I will probably send around invites for everyone in the next couple of months.


posted by Chris  #10:21 PM | 0 comments |